Wednesday 22 October 2014

Viking Metal ImI

Greetings! Today I’m going to talk about my favorite type of music.

Well, usually I listen to rock, heavy metal, folk (Celtic, Nordic, Irish), progressive rock-metal-folk, etc. I think I like all the possible combinations of these four elements. However, the sound of my heart is heavy… like heavy metal (bad joke). There is a song of Tenacious D, the band of Jack Black who has a song about Metal and I always sing this part: You can't kill the metal. The metal will live onNew wave tried to kill the metal. But they failed as they were stricken down to the ground”.

But today I’m going to refer to one of the genres of heavy metal: Viking Metal, a genre of Black Metal and Folk Metal.

First of all, heavy metal is a genre of rock music that emerged between 60’s and 70’s.  It is recognizable because their extended guitar solos, distortion, heavy drums… a lot of noise for the ears to someone with no taste in good music (I’m totally joking). Black Metal is like… more hardcore. Melodies with faster tempos than traditional heavy metal, a lot of distortion and chaotic lyrics and extreme voices: with screams, guttural sounds or pitchy voices. Initially related to Satanism, misanthropy and anti-Christian and a visual imaginary that cause a lot of polemic. As a rejection to Satanism and occultism to a way to oppose to Christianity, in 1980’s Viking metal was developed as a new opposition from the paganism and Nordic tradition. A fusion between Black Metal and the beauty of Folk music with lyrics associate to Nordic mythology and the “Viking Age”. Battles, swords, paganism and other types of northern landscape are represented in this genre. Is the perfect combination between mythical lyrics, Viking drums and instruments and the power of Black Metal.

I like this kind of music because I’m a fan of the Nordic culture and the “Viking Age”, their mythology is awesome and very complete. Also I like the “noise” and the brutality of Black Metal, is weird I know, but for me is music and I love it.

That is all! Thanks for reading!

Goodbye!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you have a heavy heart and a viking actitud.
    Good combination

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only metal band I know is Nightwish and everytime I say it, everyone says "it's not metal!" hahaha.

    ReplyDelete